5 Quick Tips to Convert Organic Traffic and Drive Lead Generation
In a prior post, Think Like a Publisher: 4 Low Cost Marketing Strategies to Drive Demand Creation, I talked about low cost ways you can create demand for your site. Now that you’ve generated traffic to your site, how are you going to capitalize on that traffic? Here are some practical ideas you can use to activate lead generation from the organic traffic you’ve worked so hard to develop:
- Call to action – This feeds into the web site advice above, every page has a purpose. If your purpose is to collect email names (i.e. a lead) as part of your demand generation funnel, then be darn sure that you are making it easy for people to engage with you.
- Avoid the #1 CTA pitfall: too many choices. In his book, Paradox of Choice: Why More is Less, Barry Schwartz explains the psychological anxiety that can come from having too many choices, and therefore, people choose nothing. While this book was written in 2004, the premise is still true today. Be sure you know what you are trying to accomplish, what is your primary goal for each web page or piece of content, and then orient your CTAs around that goal.
The #1 pitfall with calls to action is offering too many choices. Be focused with your CTAs.
- Create a newsletter – remember all of those blog posts you’re creating? Tie them into a weekly, bi-weekly or monthly newsletter.
- Alerts – create alerts for new information and industry stats.
- Package content into higher value, downloadable assets. Again, remember all of those blog posts and industry stats you’re collecting in your instant polls? Package this information together, add charts or tables to illustrate – voila, you have an ebook or a report that will create instant value for your audience. When it’s valuable enough, they will pay you with registration data.
- Partner with 3rd party firms to align your brand with other credible content, and use this as a method to collect additional leads. This one costs money, so you need to be prepared to invest, but this can be a great way to expand your content strategy and instantly elevate your presence in the industry, all while capturing lead information.
These are just a few of the ways you can start filling your funnel by acquiring the names of higher converting prospects, using content you have already created. While these tips are simple and cost effective, they often go overlooked by many organizations.